Wednesday 25 February 2015

February 25, 2015

Here are a few more small 3-D collages.  As usual other projects have been slowing me down.

I just returned from Wuhan, China, where I was a guest of the Hubei Institute of Fine Arts.  Needless to say, it was interesting and a lot of fun.  People were friendly and sincere and our hosts couldn't have been more gracious.  Probably the best food I've ever had on a daily basis.

Three colleagues and myself ended up submitting designs for a new station on the Metro line.  The Fine Arts Institute is smart in having a Cultural Corporation that employs students and former students from the art school to work on large cultural and design projects for the city and, currently, the large new subway system they are building in Wuhan.  We were asked if we'd like to submit design ideas for one of the terminals and a couple of us worked feverishly one evening to create drawings and watercolors of our design idea for one of the stations.  The Metro liked our design idea and we've been busy creating finished works and photoshop renderings.  It still has to find final approval but turned out to be an exciting opportunity.

Wuhan is a beautiful and almost visibly growing city.  I was told there were 3 high-rise buildings in Wuhan in 1995.  There must be over a thousand now and the architecture throughout the city is quite fantastic.  Bad air quality though.  I feel like I saw a glimpse of the future.

I made a couple of collages with a Chinese theme but don't know if I'd show my hosts at HIFA.
Collage254

Collage254-1

Collage260-4

Collage261-1

Collage261-8

Collage276

Collage307

No comments:

Post a Comment