Thursday 22 August 2013

These are more Photoshop exercises learning to use cloner brushes.  I do consider these as lessons and not how I see my work and interests in digital collage developing.   They are small files, made from small jpegs found in quick Google searches so I think of them as ‘Google Doodles’.   I didn’t realize that Aryan had disabled the cloner brushes he had installed for the lesson and I ended up having to use just the circle clone tool and created the collages using my finger on the pad on my MacBook.

While I’m not taking the images here seriously, I really like the cloning process and will use it more in digital collage making in future.  I especially like the combination of cloned images and mixer brushes which paint into the images using and smearing together their own colors.

 They are significant to me as lessons but also bring up a couple of things I’ve been noticing while learning to make collages from materials found online only.  I’m aware, first, of having to type in a word in order to get an image – a process significantly different from choosing materials for handmade collages (sort of).  Secondly, most of the images that appear in a Google search are photographs – something that never interested me much as a material for handmade collages.  Where I have used photographic images before, I was more interested in how the image was printed (halftones etc.) on cheap paper than an image on photographic paper.  I’m currently compiling a large archive of materials for collage that I have downloaded from the web and have been looking more for the type of materials I would use in handmade collage – old stained papers, ‘printed’ images etc.  More on this later.

I’ve noticed that when you do type in a word or phrase you’ll find images relating to your request to some degree but always a ton of cultural schlock.   Even if you type in “war” you are still likely to receive images of Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga.  I’m not sure yet what to think of that enormous layer of cultural poop that essentially surrounds the entirely of the internet.  I hope I’m learning ways to cut through it in my searches for ‘interesting’ (???) digital cultural detritus.  The opposite end of the spectrum seems to be schlocky ‘vintage’ stuff for collage.

Anyway, these are a few of the Google Doodles.  As you’ll notice I typed in words or phrases such as ‘War’ (Clonecollage 11); ‘Cities at Night” and ‘Cities from Space’ (Clonecollage 10 & 13).  I think for Clonecollage 12 I just typed in ‘miscellaneous’.

Clonecollage #10

Clonecollage #11

Clonecollage #12

Clonecollage #13

Clonecollage #14

Clonecollage #15

Clonecollage #16

Clonecollage #21

No comments:

Post a Comment