Monday 2 September 2013

More Google Collages

I apologize to my few readers - I had intended to catch up on the blog and improvements this summer but suffered a detached retina and had to have surgery.  I've been recovering over the summer but I've been unable to do much on the computer.  Anyone who is actually following the blog, I thank you for your interest and hope you'll return now that I'm posting regularly again (I hope).

These collages are more Photoshop lessons.  I was thinking more about having to type in words in order to get images and materials for collage so was trying to think of words that were less specific such as generic, detritus, commodity etc.  I was also continuing to ask myself why I am attracted to certain kinds of materials or have certain kinds of "affectations".  While I like the idea of collage art made from cultural detritus and am interested in its connections to human memory, I wonder if it always has to be about "old" stuff.  I am currently collecting a lot of "old" stuff in my archive - mostly old paper and documents and old images of various kinds.  Do I need to be more contemporary in my ideas and activities in collage?  I thought about the Pop artists who were contemporary in their day (Eduardo Paolozzi and the English Pop collage sensibilities as well as the American artists) and thought about trying something in that vein.  Again, the work relies heavily on downloaded photographic images that have been manipulated with PS effects.

I've also added one of the still-lifes I was composing at the same time.  Again, I think of these as experiments or lessons and, as much as I admire Pop art, don't see myself really heading in this direction.
Digital Collage #63  Generic #1

Digital Collage #64 Generic #2

Digital Collage #68  Commodity 

Digital Collage #74 Still-life

Digiral Collage #82

No comments:

Post a Comment